35 social media statistics you can't live without in March 2016
I've researched all the latest social media statistics for February 2016 and put them all together so you don't have to
Following on from January, here are our must-know social media statistics from February 2016
1. It’s been predicted that Facebook usage will surpass 50% of the American population this year.
2. In Australia we’re already past 60% (14,000,000).
3. There are 12.8 million internet subscribers in Australia – less than the total number of Facebook accounts.
4. Dial-up internet access in Australia went from 47% in 2006 to less than 1% in 2015
5. Conversely mobile and fixed wifi has gone from less than 2% in 2006 to 48%
6. DSL, Cable, Fibre and Satellite internet access in Australia has remained reasonably stable at the 50% mark over the last 10 years
7. Total downloads have increased by 40% in the single year from June 2014 to June 2015, indicating greater access and faster speeds at more affordable prices for Australians.
8. LinkedIn is forecasting $1.13 billion dollars ad revenue in 2016.
9. Over 60% of LinkedIn’s revenue is generated in the USA.
10. Tumblr growth has declined significantly to 11% from 33% in 2014
11. Women use more: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest
12. Men use more: Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn
13. Since its launch in 2005, Reddit has become the dominant social network for content sharing and individual communities, with 360 million user accounts
14. In 2015, Reddit saw more than 73 million submissions, and 725 million comments
15. Tweets with 1-2 hashtags receive 21 percent higher engagement than those with none
16. 45 percent of Snapchat’s users are 18 to 24 year olds
17. More than 70 percent of Pinterest users are women
18. The volume of messages sent to brands jumped from 336 to 724 in the last 12 months of 2016. A massive 46% increase!
19. In late 2013 15% of social messages sent to brands required a response, this has increased significantly to 43%
20. More customers rely on brand social media presences for support, yet brand response rate is dropping. Between late 2013 and late 2015 the response rate has dropped from 14% to 11%.
21. Then why is it that most brands send 3.2 x more broadcast messages than customer engagements?
22. 35% of social media professionals consider their use of influencer marketing to be at a mature stage.
23. Conversely only 14% had no plans to use it as part of their social strategy.
24. More than half of Australian and New Zealander (ANZ) marketers say social media is the hottest topic in retargeting, with email retargeting placing second
25. 37% of ANZ marketers use retargeting for customer retention, lead generation and social engagement
26. 68% of ANZ marketers use programatic (automated) ad-buying on social media
27. 62% of ANZ marketers believe attribution is critical or very important to marketing success
28. 40% of ANZ marketers feel that paid social media is the best-performing channel for acquiring new customers
29. 36% of ANZ marketers feel that organic social media is the best-performing channel for acquiring new customers
30. The hashtag #Deadpool was the biggest superhero related hashtag of the month in January, garnering an incredible 575 million impressions.
31. Mentions of Deadpool accounted for 42% of all super hero movie mentions in January
32. Doctor Strange and Captain America are both being well received on Twitter with 90% positive mentions
33. Users engage much more with brands on Instagram than any other social network at 2.26% audience/engagement versus 0.2% on Facebook as second most engaged platform for brands.
34. Overall engagement has dropped across all social media sites except Facebook where engagement has increased by almost 400% This is mostly likely being driven by advertising and boost options on the Facebook platform
35. Consumers are more willing than ever to:
1) walk away from your business if you fail to protect their data and privacy;
2) adopt technologies like tracker-blockers and VPNs to limit their exposure to data misuse; and
3) extend their protective actions to the physical realm.
“If you’re one of the marketers who’s been counting on Millennials who “don’t care” about their online privacy, you’re going to be waiting a long time.”
28 Social media statistics
Ad Roll State of the Industry ANZ 2016
Brandwatch: Twitters going crazy for 2016s biggest superhero movies
Craziest social media stats from 2015
Forrester: Consumer privacy attitudes
Forrester: How does your brand stack up on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Ridiculously Useful Social Media Stats You Have To Read and Share RIGHT NOW!
We'd love to hear what you have to say in the comments belowComment & Discuss