Interested in online communities and community management? Here’s a list of books for Community Managers (with a few more thrown in for good measure!).
- Community Building on the Web: Secret Strategies for Successful Online Communities Amy Jo Kim (2000)
- The Virtual Community: Homesteading on the Electronic Frontier Howard Rheingold (2000)
- The Cluetrain Manifesto: 10th Anniversary Edition Rick Levine, Doc Searls, Christopher Locke, Jake Mckee
- Buzzing Communities Rich Millington (2012)
- The Art of Community: Building the New Age of Participation Jono Bacon (2009)
- Managing Online Forums: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Run Successful Community Discussion Boards Patrick O’Keefe (2008)
- Digital Habitats: stewarding technology for communities Etienne Wenger (2009)
- Cultivating Communities of Practice: A Guide to Managing Knowledge Etienne Wenger, Richard McDermott and William Synder (2002)
- Groundswell, Expanded and Revised Edition: Winning in a World Transformed by Social Technologies Charlene Li & Joshua Bernoff (revised ed 2011)
- Cognitive Surplus: How Technology Makes Consumers into Collaborators Clay Shirky (2011)
- Here Comes Everybody: The Power of Organizing Without Organizations Clay Shirky (2009)
- Hanging Out, Messing Around, and Geeking Out: Kids Living and Learning with New Media (The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation Series on Digital Media and Learning)(2009)
- 18 Rules of Community Engagement: A Guide for Building Relationships and Connecting With Customers Online Angela Connor (2009)
- Threadless: Ten Years of T-shirts from the World’s Most Inspiring Online Design Community(2010)
- Companies and Communities: Participating without being sleazy Dawn M. Foster (2009)
- Online Community Management For Dummies Deborah Ng
- Social Networking for Nonprofits: Increasing Engagement in a Mobile and Web 2.0 World Andy Steggles (2010). Thanks to Anne-margaret Olsson for this addition.
- Building Successful Online Communities: Evidence-Based Social DesignRobert E. Kraut and Paul Resnick. (2012)
For Community Designers, Programmers, UI/UX peeps etc.
- Building Web Reputation Systems Randy Farmer, Bryce Glass (2010)
- Design for Community Derek Powazek (2001)
- Design to Thrive: Creating Social Networks and Online Communities that Last Tharon Howard (2010)
- Designing Social Interfaces: Principles, Patterns, and Practices for Improving the User Experience (Animal Guide) Cristian Crumlish and Erin Malone (2009). Another one from Anne, thanks!
For MMO, Virtual Worlds & Gamers (but fascinating insight regardless)
- The Guild Leader’s Handbook: Strategies and Guidance from a Battle-Scarred MMO Veteran Scott F Andrews (2010)
Broader social media & marketing makes for a long list, but here are some popular ones with crossover below:
- Tribes: We Need You to Lead Us Seth Godin (2008)
- The New Community Rules: Marketing on the Social Web Tamar Weinberg (2009)
- Trust Agents: Using the Web to Build Influence, Improve Reputation, and Earn Trust Chris Brogan (2010)
- The Thank You Economy Gary Vaynerchuk (2011)
- The Whuffie Factor: Using the Power of Social Networks to Build Your Business Tara Hunt (2009)
- Delivering Happiness: A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose Tony Hseih (2010). Thanks to Nima Patel for the addition.
If you want to delve into further into designing for community, knowledge management, virtual worlds, gaming or another area there are plenty more to read. If you have any recommendations you’d like to have added, please leave it in the comments.
Have an opinion?
We'd love to hear what you have to say in the comments below
Comment & Discuss